What is learning organization?
In Brief :
LO is for organization having interest to sustain their competitive edge/corporate image due to susceptibility to volatile changes around them. Own past experience in building the organization is particularly useful. Focus Area - Human Resources Planning and Management. Objective - to compete 'healthily' in the market, to become a responsible corporate citizen, reaping profit through good HRM.
'Organization having own system, mechanisme and processes to continually improve all levels of the organization to achieve the objective continually'
1) Do you feel that your current system is working? If not, improve that first.
2) LO is NOT restricted to training and development only. If you feel that this statement is wrong - then don't embark on LO.
a) Learn the facts, knowledge, processes and procedures,
b) Improve 'competency' at all levels possible,
- be aware of changes around you - be it economy, social, politics, laws, technology, everchanging market or market trends etc.
- be aware of what's going on in your OWN organization - e.g. you want to introduce a new product/services, check your resources and plan properly.
- be aware of the labour market - demographic trends, extension of service, women's participation
Learn how to absorb, classify, prioritize and finally incorporate. Do the right thing the right way.
Consider 'learning curve' trend (e.g. innovations & quality), processes (e.g. interaction + infra, development & management style), tools/techniques/methodology (e.g. QCC tools), competency/motivation (e.g. change management & willingness to learn)
Orientation Programmes, Knowledge Sharing, Commitment to learn & develop, 'Open' management system & learning from experience (empirical)
Strategies, competitive analysis, managing information/knowledge, capability profiling (e.g. TNA - Training Needs Analysis and SFM - Skill Flexibility Matrix), cross-functional teams, performance measurement, benchmarking, merit/awards.
How to Start
Top Management Responsibility - resources, tools, machineries, finance etc., Identification of Grey Areas, Committee Set-Up, Initial Evaluation, Unleashing/Maximizing Potentials, New R & D for New Product/Services Development.
Organisational Survey,brainstorming/delphi etc,motivation (inculcate ownership feeling),make good decisions,result oriented,upgrade knowledge,good listener/advisor,leadership (by example),ready to face future challenges.
Take good examples from the past and incorporate into the future or current.
Blaming culture, punishment better than reward, immobility,don't want to spend money on resources, bureaucracy,too centralized etc