DISCLAIMER - NIKZAFRI.BLOGSPOT.COM
In no event shall nikzafri.blogspot.com be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, direct, special, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages, or damages for lost profits, loss of revenue, or loss of use, arising out of or related to the nikzafri.blogspot.com or the information contained in it, whether such damages arise in contract, negligence, tort, under statute, in equity, at law or otherwise.
BIODATA - NIK ZAFRI
NIK ZAFRI BIN ABDUL MAJID, CONSULTANT/TRAINER
Kelantanese, Alumni of Sultan Ismail College Kelantan (SICA), Diploma (Management), IT Competency Cert, Certified Written English Professional US. Has participated in many seminars/conferences (local/ international) in the capacity of trainer/lecturer and participant.
Affiliations :- Council Member of Gerson Lehrman Group NY, Institute of Quality Malaysia, Malaysian Institute of Management, Malaysian Occupational Safety and Health Professionals Association, Auditor ISO 9000 IRCAUK, Auditor OHSAS 18000 (SIRIM and STS) /EMS ISO 14000:2004 and Construction Quality Assessment System (CONQUAS, CIDB (Now BCA) Singapore),
* Possesses 26 years of experience/hands-on in the multi-modern management & technical disciplines (systems & methodologies) such as Knowledge Management (Hi-Impact Management/ICT Solutions), Quality (TQM/ISO), Safety Health Environment, Civil & Building (Construction), Manufacturing, Motivation & Team Building, HR, Marketing/Branding, Business Process Reengineering, Economy/Stock Market, Contracts/Project Management, Finance & Banking, etc. He was employed to international bluechips involving in national/international megaprojects such as Balfour Beatty Construction/Knight Piesold & Partners UK, MMI Insurance Group Australia, Hazama Corporation (Hazamagumi) Japan (with Mitsubishi Corporation, JA Jones US, MMCE and Ho-Hup) and Sunway Construction Berhad (The Sunway Group of Companies). Among major projects undertaken : Pergau Hydro Electric Project, KLCC Petronas Twin Towers, LRT Tunnelling, KLIA, Petronas Refineries Melaka, Putrajaya Government Complex, Sistem Lingkaran Lebuhraya Kajang (SILK), Mex Highway, KLIA1, KLIA2 etc. Once serviced SMPD Management Consultants as Associate Consultant cum Lecturer for Diploma in Management, Institute of Supervisory Management UK/SMPD JV. Currently – Associate/Visiting Consultants/Facilitators, Advisors for leading consulting firms (local and international) including project management. To name a few – Noma SWO Consult, Amiosh Resources, Timur West Consultant Sdn. Bhd., TIJ Consultants Group (Malaysia and Singapore) and many others.
* Ex-Resident Weekly Columnist of Utusan Malaysia (1995-1998) and have produced more than 100 articles related to ISO-9000– Management System and Documentation Models, TQM Strategic Management, Occupational Safety and Health (now OHSAS 18000) and Environmental Management Systems ISO 14000. His write-ups/experience has assisted many students/researchers alike in module developments based on competency or academics and completion of many theses. Once commended by the then Chief Secretary to the Government of Malaysia for his diligence in promoting and training the civil services (government sector) based on “Total Quality Management and Quality Management System ISO-9000 in Malaysian Civil Service – Paradigm Shift Scalar for Assessment System”
Among Nik Zafri’s clients : Adabi Consumer Industries Sdn. Bhd, (MRP II, Accounts/Credit Control) The HQ of Royal Customs and Excise Malaysia (ISO 9000), Veterinary Services Dept. Negeri Sembilan (ISO 9000), The Institution of Engineers Malaysia (Aspects of Project Management – KLCC construction), Corporate HQ of RHB (Peter Drucker's MBO/KRA), NEC Semiconductor - Klang Selangor (Productivity Management), Prime Minister’s Department Malaysia (ISO 9000), State Secretarial Office Negeri Sembilan (ISO 9000), Hidrological Department KL (ISO 9000), Asahi Kluang Johor(System Audit, Management/Supervisory Development), Tunku Mahmood (2) Primary School Kluang Johor (ISO 9000), Consortium PANZANA (HSSE 3rd Party Audit), Lecturer for Information Technology Training Centre (ITTC) – Authorised Training Center (ATC) – University of Technology Malaysia (UTM) Kluang Branch Johor, Kluang General Hospital Johor (Management/Supervision Development, Office Technology/Administration, ISO 9000 & Construction Management), Kahang Timur Secondary School Johor (ISO 9000), Sultan Abdul Jalil Secondary School Kluang Johor (Islamic Motivation and Team Building), Guocera Tiles Industries Kluang Johor (EMS ISO 14000), MNE Construction (M) Sdn. Bhd. Kota Tinggi Johor (ISO 9000 – Construction), UITM Shah Alam Selangor (Knowledge Management/Knowledge Based Economy /TQM), Telesystem Electronics/Digico Cable(ODM/OEM for Astro – ISO 9000), Sungai Long Industries Sdn. Bhd. (Bina Puri Group) - ISO 9000 Construction), Secura Security Printing Sdn. Bhd,(ISO 9000 – Security Printing) ROTOL AMS Bumi Sdn. Bhd & ROTOL Architectural Services Sdn. Bhd. (ROTOL Group) – ISO 9000 –Architecture, Bond M & E (KL) Sdn. Bhd. (ISO 9000 – Construction/M & E), Skyline Telco (M) Sdn. Bhd. (Knowledge Management),Technochase Sdn. Bhd JB (ISO 9000 – Construction), Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia (IKIM – ISO 9000 & Internal Audit Refresher), Shinryo/Steamline Consortium (Petronas/OGP Power Co-Generation Plant Melaka – Construction Management and Safety, Health, Environment), Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (Negotiation Skills), Association for Retired Intelligence Operatives of Malaysia (Cyber Security – Arpa/NSFUsenet, Cobit, Till, ISO/IEC ISMS 27000 for Law/Enforcement/Military), T.Yamaichi Corp. (M) Sdn. Bhd. (EMS ISO 14000) LSB Manufacturing Solutions Sdn. Bhd., (Lean Scoreboard (including a full development of System-Software-Application - MSC Malaysia & Six Sigma) PJZ Marine Services Sdn. Bhd., (Safety Management Systems and Internal Audit based on International Marine Organization Standards) UNITAR/UNTEC (Degree in Accountacy – Career Path/Roadmap) Cobrain Holdings Sdn. Bhd.(Managing Construction Safety & Health), Speaker for International Finance & Management Strategy (Closed Conference), Pembinaan Jaya Zira Sdn. Bhd. (ISO 9001:2008-Internal Audit for Construction Industry & Overview of version 2015), Straits Consulting Engineers Sdn. Bhd. (Full Integrated Management System – ISO 9000, OHSAS 1800 and EMS ISO 14000 for Civl/Structural/Geotechnical Consulting), Malaysia Management & Science University (MSU – (Managing Business in an Organization), Innoseven Sdn. Bhd. (KVMRT Line 1 MSPR8 – Awareness and Internal Audit (Construction), ISO 9001:2008 and 2015 overview for the Construction Industry), Kemakmuran Sdn. Bhd. (KVMRT Line 1 - Signages/Wayfinding - Project Quality Plan and Construction Method Statement ), Amiosh Resources - (1) Lembaga Tabung Haji - Flood ERP (2) WNA Consultants - DID/JPS -Flood Risk Assessment and Management Plan - Prelim, Conceptual Design, Interim and Final Report etc. (3) Tunnel Fire Safety - Fire Risk Assessment Report - Design Fire Scenario), Safety, Health and Environmental Management Plans leading construction/property companies/corporations in Malaysia. Timur West Consulting (1) Business Methodology and System (2) Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) ISO/IEC 27001:2013 for Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya ISMS/Audit/Risk/ITP Technical Team
* Has appeared for 10 consecutive series in “Good Morning Malaysia RTM TV1’ Corporate Talk Segment discussing on ISO 9000/14000 in various industries. For ICT, his inputs garnered from his expertise have successfully led to development of work-process e-enabling systems in the environments of intranet, portal and interactive web design especially for the construction and manufacturing. Some of the end products have won various competitions of innovativeness, quality, continual-improvements and construction industry award at national level. He has also in advisory capacity – involved in development and moderation of websites, portals and e-profiles for mainly corporate and private sectors, public figures etc. He is also one of the recipients for MOSTE Innovation for RFID use in Electronic Toll Collection in Malaysia
Risk Based Thinking ISO 9001:2015
(The answers provided are not to be deemed as solutions but basic guidelines, please contact me for further details of consultancy and training)
Q : Do I issue NCR for Risk Identification/Assessment? (i.e. HIRARC)
A : Risk Identification/Asessment and even HIRARC itself is an assessment NOT an audit/inspection. Please do not confuse the two. When we talk about risk, the word "proactive" must always come into the picture. Risk Based Thinking in the new ISO 9001:2015 is previously known as "Preventive Action" but spoken in a wider sense.
If you are using HIRARC, then there are "marks" to denote severity and likelihood of the risk being identified. You can note suggestion or instruction for improvement based on your findings and discuss in your Management Review.
Q : I am a newbie in Risk Management, where to start on Risk Based Thinking during upgrading from the old version?
A: ISO 9001:2015 do not make it "a must" to have a full risk management. Unless it's already part of your core business process (especially planning), e.g. using HIRARC, then that's different. Look at your core business process and identify/ brainstorm the possible risk associated with every process where applicable. Using the Risk Register would be a good idea.
The reason why "Risk Based Thinking" is introduced into ISO 9001:2015 is because to reduce non-conformance and customer complaints, to justify clearly (substantiated with evidence) the Department/Unit Objectives, KPI/KRA, Balance Scorecard etc. (not simply pick up a figure from 'the sky')
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
(FOR THE 1ST TIME EVER IN 15 YEARS, PART OF MY ISO 9000 PROPOSAL (CONSTRUCTION) IS REVEALED!!)
For ISO 9001:2008 Consultants Only
This sample has been tailored made for construction/building and civil engineering.
Initial Assessment/ Evaluation (1) to predetermine: -
a. Scope of Registration & Application
b. Improvement of Existing Elements/Criterions if any
c. Additional Elements/ Criterions as necessary or permissible exclusion if any
Preparation and Presentation of findings to the Client.
(1)This is not an audit activity.
(1) Methods Used :-
Review documentation based on construction industry, sampling basis, conversation with related staff and observing consistency of physical activities at various places of work.
QMS ISO 9001:2008 Awareness Workshop - Theme : Managing Quality in Construction (2)
(2) (both general awareness and customized to client’s nature of industry, contract mode (Design & Build? Turnkey? Conventional?)
Workshop’s detailed report/ assessment to the Client.
(2) Solution-based – client will know the next course action after the training.
Client shall provide feedback forms and provide Certificates of Participation (which format will be forwarded by the consultant).
Typical Workshop Contents
Training Objectives, 8 Management Principles and 5 Main Clauses and interrelationships, Various Tools, Quality Cost etc. etc. + Application to Client’s industry
PHASE TWO – IMPLEMENTATION (CRITICAL)
Assisting System Structuring(3), Quality Document Development and (4) Review
(3) Typical System Structuring (besides the remarks) usually involve consistency with the standard requirements (not limited to the following):
· QMS Workshop
· Customer-Focus – Communication & Survey.
· Resource Management including org. chart, JD, competency & TNA
· QMS Manual/Plan/Procedural/Method Statement and or Work Instructions/I & TP (Inspection & Test Plan), sequencing and format/numbering + records management (Forms & Checklists)
· Online Documentation Interface if Any
· Measurement of Department Objectives and Capturing and Analysis of Data
· Supervision/Inspection & Supplier/ Subcontractor Management/Assessment
· Effectiveness vs. Compliance, Plan-Do-Check-Act PDCA and Continual Improvement
Internal Quality Auditing Course(5)
(5) Among Critical Issues to be highlighted :-
a. Effectivess/Understanding vs. Compliance.
b. Traceability to the source.
c. Determining of Non-Conformance
d. Correction and Corrective Action (CA)
e. Preventive Action
f. Audit Scheduling and Reporting
h. Assessment vs Audit – Judgement vs. Evidence.
i. Auditors Conduct.
j. Inspection vs Audit
Workshop’s detailed report/ assessment to the Client.
(5) Based on IRCA’s and IQA’s modules.
Typically covering :-
Requirements of ISO 19011:2000 and ISO 9001:2008.
The last day shall be allocated for a ‘mock adequacy and compliance audit’ conducted by the client’s IQA team.
Client shall provide feedback forms and Certificates of Participation/ Successful Completion.
PHASE THREE - REVIEW
Monitoring Internal Quality Auditing Activities (IQA) (6)
Management Review Meeting (MRM) (7)
(7) If invited by the Client, Consultant may attend the MRM only as an observer. If otherwise, Consultant will need a copy of the MRM minutes to evaluate effectiveness and compliance.
In both cases, Consultant shall provide the MRM evaluation to the Client.
(6) Monitoring of NCR, CAR, Reporting, Follow Up, Verification.
(7) Monitoring MRM Inputs and Outputs including :
· IQA results
· Customer feedback
· Process performance and product conformity
· Status of preventive and corrective actions
· Changes affecting QMS
· Continual Improvement
· Resource Management
Independent Mock Adequacy and Compliance Audit(8)
Preparation and Presentation of findings to the Client.
(8) Full system audit – Verify adequacy of QMS documentation, data & records based on random plant and office activities, sampling basis, and interview related staff.
Despite Consultant may issue NCR(s) and CAR(s) but this audit shall not form part of the Client’s QMS and/or certification benchmarks.
Consultant’s NCR and CAR shall only be taken as independent opinions and as suggestions to further improve the client’s system.
PHASE FOUR - CERTIFICATION
Assisting the Client on Certification Arrangements(9)
Final Briefing on Certification Audit(10)
(9) Coordinate with QMR on communication with certification body.
(10) DOs and DONTs during certification audit.
Consultant shall not be present during the adequacy/compliance audit (certification audit) but shall follow up on the results of such audit including NCR/CAR issued.