Tuesday, August 25, 2026

TURNING RISK ASSESSMENT INTO A PRACTICAL DIGITAL TOOL


Over the years, I’ve worked extensively with construction risk management, QHSE systems, audits, procedures and practical site controls. One thing I’ve observed repeatedly is that risk assessment is not necessarily difficult to understand. The challenge is making it practical, structured and consistently followed.

That was one reason I started developing a Construction Risk Assessment & Intelligence Tool.

The concept is straightforward:

Identify → Assess → Control → Reassess → Document → Monitor

The tool brings these steps into one practical digital workflow, allowing hazards to be assessed by trade/industry, project phase, activity, persons affected, likelihood, severity, initial and residual risk, hierarchy of controls, actions, responsible person, target date and status.

But I wanted to go beyond simply creating a digital risk register. The tool also provides a management view of risk exposure by trade, initial versus residual risk, critical-risk ranking and a visual risk matrix.

A good risk assessment should not only ask:

“What are the hazards?”

It should also ask:

“Where is our greatest risk exposure?”
“Are our controls actually reducing the risk?”
“Who owns the action?”
“What remains open?”

That is where I believe digitalisation can add real value.

The objective is not to replace professional judgement, competent persons, site inspections, HIRARC, JSA/JHA or established risk-management processes.

Technology is only a tool. The quality of the outcome still depends on the competence, experience and judgement of the people using it.

What technology can do is make the process more structured, traceable, visible and easier to review while reducing the chance of important actions being overlooked.

My philosophy has always been: Technology should not make safety more complicated. It should make good safety practices easier to implement.

I’m continuing to develop and refine this tool with real construction-site applications in mind.

The screenshots show some features currently being developed. It is still a work in progress and intentionally so.

The best systems are not built simply by adding more features. They are built by understanding what people actually need when they are standing on a construction site, trying to manage risk.