Wednesday, July 15, 2026

SOME GOOD HABITS USING EMAILS

Over the years, I've developed a habit of filtering unwanted emails across all my email accounts. Instead of sending them to the Spam or Junk folder, I direct them straight to the Trash. It gives me greater peace of mind and keeps my inbox free from unnecessary distractions.

I’ve also configured certain emails to be redirected automatically to other email accounts, a practice I have carried with me since the earlier days of email systems, when SMTP-based routing and forwarding rules required a more hands-on understanding of how messages travelled between servers.
In addition to filtering, I also block unwanted email addresses. That said, I've found that well-configured filters based on sender, subject, keywords, and other conditions are often far more effective than simply blocking an address.
One lesson I've learned, however, is to occasionally check the Trash folder. Email filters can sometimes be too literal in how they interpret the rules.
While it's uncommon, there have been instances where legitimate and important emails were filtered out inadvertently. When that happens, I simply review the filter responsible and adjust or remove it to prevent the issue from recurring.
No filtering system is perfect, but with a little maintenance, it can save a great deal of time while reducing unnecessary distractions.
Before the era of AI, it was more manual, but it also gave users a better understanding and greater control over how their digital communication was managed.
I am aware that AI can now perform many of these tasks more intelligently and automatically with intelligent inbox management and AI-driven automation.
However, coming from a different era, I still appreciate the process of manually configuring filters. There is a certain satisfaction and sense of control in understanding how the rules are created and how the system works behind the scenes.
The experience of manually setting things up is simply not the same as having it done automatically.